February 2013 News from NYSBRA – your New York State Bicycle Racing Association.
- 2012 Road Race Schedule available: The 2013 NYS Road Race Schedule has been finalized and posted on www.nysbra.com. As always it is available in PDF, but this year for the first time it is also available by….
- Google Race Calendars! We’ve created three new Google Calendars for Road, CX and MTB. You can view the calendars as the top item on the Road, CX, and MTB pull-down menus at www.nysbra.com or you can link the calendars to your personal calendar on your PC, tablet, or phone. Just select the calendar(s) you want or pick and choose specific events!
- Mountain Bike info added: We now have a calendar, web page and egroup set up for MTB. Vary your training!
- USAC New Club of the Year: East Aurora Racing Club (EARC), located near Buffalo, was selected “Best New Club for 2012” by USA Cycling. A big congratulations out to them!
- Like us on Facebook! We’ll repost all the main website entries on the NYSBRA Facebook page so you can keep up. Any requests for content would be appreciated. Tell us what you think of the new Calendars!
- Rule of the Month: There are some new wrinkles for category 5 this year – the biggest is the new cyclocross category 5, for which upgrading is MANDATORY after you have completed 10 races (upgrading to Cat 4 is optional in the other disciplines). Also, completion of USA Cycling sanctioned rider education clinics can substitute for some of the required races or points for upgrades. USA Cycling is also developing a program for mentoring of category 5s by category 3 and higher riders. Finally, Cat 5 riders can now enter time trials for any category. It all adds up to more pathways and incentives to improve as a cyclist and test yourself against stiffer competition. See www.nysbra.com for a full article by Gary Toth!
NYSBRA is YOUR organization.
Have ideas about how to improve bike racing in New York State? Please submit your comments and ideas to the board. We are interested in hearing what you have to say. For details, ask your regional rep or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Race safe and have fun!
Your NYSBRA Officers and Board
Western region: Todd Scheske
Central region: Lloyd Campbell
Adirondack region: Dieter Drake
New York City region: Eric Ragot
Long Island region: Myles Romanow
Hudson Valley: Martin Bruhn